Work starts on Gloucestershire’s energy from waste facility by Shaun Moore | Gloucester News Centre - http://gloucesternewscentre.co.uk/
The county takes a step closer to the end of landfill for household waste that can’t be reduced, reused or recycled.
Work has begun on the new energy from waste facility that will see household waste that currently gets buried in the ground used to make enough electricity to power 25,000 homes, reduce carbon emissions by 40,000 tonnes, and save the county more than £150million.
Hempsted landfill site will be full by the end of 2016 and the council’s landfill contract with Cory ends in 2018 so it is essential the council has alternative plans in place.
The council signed a contract with Urbaser Balfour Beatty (UBB) to build the energy from waste facility on Javelin Park, near Haresfield in February 2013.
Initial work is underway to install new fencing around the site. Temporary roads for construction vehicles, new drainage and installation of office accommodation for staff are next. Following construction and commissioning, the facility should be fully operational in late 2019.
Cllr Ray Theodoulou, cabinet member for waste, said: “This is a major step forward towards our aim of 70 per cent recycling and will make a massive reduction in Gloucestershire’s carbon emissions.
“Treating Gloucestershire’s rubbish that can’t be recycled in a clean and efficient way while generating electricity at the same time will save taxpayers money.”
Currently over half of residents’ household waste is sent to landfill, which creates harmful green house gases and costs more than £10million in tax every year.
Gloucestershire’s aim is to recycle 70 per cent of its household waste with remaining 30 per cent being dealt with at Javelin Park.
Gloucester News Centre – http://gloucesternewscentre.co.uk
- View Full Directory
- Northgate Street
- Eastgate Street
- Southgate Street
- Westgate Street
- GL Card Offers