Learning Disability Awareness Week in Gloucestershire by Kate | Gloucester News Centre - http://gloucesternewscentre.co.uk/
A week-long series of events will be taking place across Gloucestershire to mark national Learning Disability Week 2016.
The annual event is organised by the charity Mencap. The theme this year is ‘Friendships and Relationships’.
The events, organised under the umbrella of the Gloucestershire Learning Disabilities Board, start on Monday (June 20) and the Board’s Co- Chairs Jan Marriott, Zara Humphrey and Tim Heaven said there was much to look forward to.
They said: “We are really excited about this week and many organisations and support groups will open their doors to provide opportunities for people with a learning disability in Gloucestershire.”
Simon Shorrick, of 2gether NHS Foundation Trust’s Health Facilitation Team, is coordinating the event with the Board.
He said: “We really hope people will take the opportunity to get involved in the week. It’s a great opportunity to get together and celebrate everything people with learning disabilities in Gloucestershire do, and what support organisations have to offer.
“There’s a lot happening so I’d encourage everyone who has a learning disability, as well as their friends, families, support workers and carers, to get involved.”
Cllr Kathy Williams, cabinet member for long term care at Gloucestershire County Council, said: “Raising awareness to help people with learning disabilities and supporting them to live their lives to the fullest is a priority for the county council. Whatever your interests, with so many different activities going on this week across Gloucestershire, there’s something for everyone.”
Events taking place during the week include:
- Monday to Friday – The Butterfly Garden, Bamfurlong Lane, Cheltenham – open house coffee mornings. Find out more about education, recreation and therapy.
- Tuesday to Friday – Kingfisher Treasure Seekers shop – The Cavern – Westgate Street, Gloucester – find out more about creative workshops.
- Monday to Sunday – Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust – Learning Disabilities information and resource display stands at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital and Cheltenham General Hospital.
- Tuesday 21st – Gloucestershire Voices Drama Workshops at The Skills Centre, Rikenel, Montpellier, Gloucester.
- Tuesday 21st – Health Facilitation Team, 2gether NHS Foundation Trust. Drop in for staff and carers to find out more about easy read information and resources.
- Wednesday 22nd – Jamats activity centre for adults with Special Needs, in London Road, Gloucester – Learn more about exercise, music, drama, keep fit, life skills and much more.
- Thursday 23rd – Guideposts Music Therapy Service – Community Hub, 6 London rd., Stroud – try out different instruments and take part in a musical jam.
- Thursday 23rd – Carers Gloucestershire – Support for carers – drop in for a coffee and chat at Messenger House, Gloucester, in the morning or The Curio Lounge, Kings Street, Stroud, in the afternoon.
- Friday 24th – GL Communities quiz night – at the Phoenix Community Centre, Matson Lane, Gloucester.
There will also be sessions in three of the Drop ins during the week – Tewkesbury, Stroud and Coleford, and for people to find out about services available in those areas.
Full details are available online at www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/ldweek
Gloucester News Centre – http://gloucesternewscentre.co.uk
- View Full Directory
- Northgate Street
- Eastgate Street
- Southgate Street
- Westgate Street
- GL Card Offers