Is your child starting secondary school next September? Apply for your place now by Kate | Gloucester News Centre - http://gloucesternewscentre.co.uk/
If your child will be starting school in September 2017, you can now apply for a secondary school place.
Parents and carers of children making the step up to ‘big school’ next September have until midnight on 31st October to apply. You can apply online at www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/schooladmissions or download a form to complete.
Last year 96 per cent of parents choose to apply online, as it is easier and faster. Parents need to use the unique ID to register online, which were included in letters sent home from their child’s primary/junior school.
More than 6773 letters have been sent to parents and carers explaining how to apply and important dates for transferring to secondary school. Open evenings will also be running at all secondary schools.
Details of the open evenings are available in our secondary school information booklet or visit the schools own website.
When considering which schools to apply to, parents are advised to:
- talk to parents who already have children at their local secondary schools
- look at the school websites
- read the latest OFSTED report for the schools
- find out about the entry requirements and oversubscription criteria
- consider how far away the schools are and how their child will get there as most children do not qualify for help with school transport – see the home to school transport policy at gloucestershire.gov.uk/applyforabuspass
- how the schools will support their child if they have special educational needs
- whether their local schools have particular specialisms, for example languages, sport or technology.
Cllr Paul McLain, cabinet member for children and young people and commissioning, said, “It’s really important to get your application in before the closing date. If it is late, or you don’t apply, you’ll be offered a place at the nearest school to you that has space available.
“That may not be your nearest school, or a school you would have chosen. It’s really easy and quick to apply online if you haven’t already done so.”
You can find a mythbusting guide to the secondary school admissions process at www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/transfersecondaryschool as well as information about individual schools in the School Admission Guidance and Secondary School Information booklets online. It is important for parents to read this information before applying for a school place.
Gloucester News Centre – http://gloucesternewscentre.co.uk
- View Full Directory
- Northgate Street
- Eastgate Street
- Southgate Street
- Westgate Street