Contact Details

  Contact Number01452 526685

  First Line Address36-38 Southgate Street

  Websitehttp://www.travelswithbeer.com/2011/01/23/robert-raikess-house-gloucester/

Opening Hours

  Monday12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
  Tuesday12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
  Wednesday12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
  Thursday12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
  Friday12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
  Saturday12:00 pm - 11:00 pm
  Sunday12:00 pm - 10:30 pm

The impressive timber framed pub is located on Southgate Street opposite St Mary de Crypt Church. The building dates from dates from 1560 and was built as a merchant’s house. Robert Raikes, founder of the Sunday School movement published the Gloucester Journal newspaper there from 1758 and by 1772 all of his family has moved in. The building continued to be used as a merchant’s house and shop long after the death of Robert Raikes and by 1975 it had been turned into the Golden Cross pub by Samuel Smith. Apparently, the pub didn’t have a great reputation and in 2008, the pub reopened after a 2-year refurbishment costing £4.5 million.


 

Robert Raikes House on Facebook